Constructing Postflop Ranges With PJ Variables

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Yoni 4 years, 6 months ago.

Constructing Postflop Ranges With PJ Variables

By Nikolaj

I obviously like when users compliment PokerJuice but I equally like to hear arguments for not using PokerJuice since it can point us in a direction on how to improve and how better to understand the user obstacles for getting started!

One of these arguments is that PLO ranges are so complicated and difficult to precisely identify and since the output is extremely dependent on how we construct opponent ranges, you can’t trust these simulations and you are therefore better off without the software.

I agree that the input (ranges assigned) means a lot for the output of the simulations and I also agree that it can be a very challenging task to make an accurate syntax! But I reach another conclusion which is that because assigning ranges is so difficult and at the same time so important for the conclusions you reach, it is extremely important to practice these skills!

So lets do just that 🙂

I have created this hand in GameBuilder and you can download the PKJ file here!

Assigning Balanced Cbet range

So we have 3 bet preflop and checked the flop because we don’t want to bet fold this hand with EQ and back-door FD. Villain now bets and the task is to construct a balanced betting range for Villain.

To do that I have divided Villains range into these subranges:

A = Stack-off range (SOR) – hands we expect Villain to Bet/Call
B = Continuation range (COR) – hand we expect Villain to continue with
C = Blocker range (BLR) – hands we expect Villain to Bet/Fold
D = Air (AIR) – hands that are not part of one of the above ranges

Using the suggested approach on assigning post flop ranges I get:

RD 1

When you have these 4 ranges entered and turn cumulative ranges on then:

#A = Bet/call range
#B = Check behind range
#C = Bet/fold range
#D = Air range

And now all you need to do to assign a flop betting range for Villain is to insert either #A,#C if we expect Villain to check is air behind and as in the example below #A,#C,#D if we expect Villain to bet/fold his Air.

RD SB

So while constructing ranges is still a challenging task I believe we can say that it has never been easier!

Happy Juicing!
/Nikolaj

P.S. PJ Variables is part of a new functionality in PokerJuice 2.0.10 that was released recently so make sure to update PokerJuice to be able to use PJ Variables!

• Author
    Replies
  • Jurek
    Thanks for the post ! Talking about improvements, I wonder if you could consider to have an easy ‘auto-syntax’ when assigning ranges. so for example : ‘GS+’ for any gutshot and better , ‘Q+FD’ for Q high Flushdraw or better, ‘2p+’ for any 2pair and better and combinations like ‘P+FD’ or ‘GS+FD’. also it would be great to have a way to assign backdoor-FD . Besides that, thanks for all the effort and the great work you guys do!
    Nikolaj
    Thx Alien Slayer! Yes, the idea is to expand the PJ variables to contain #set, #fd, #2p, #gs etc. Too early to give a time estimate yet but it is on the roadmap!  
    Oliver
    For the BDFD you can assign a macro in PPTOO. I.e. there are only 4 possibilities for BD flushdraws on a rainbow board. I ordered the suits alphabetically. For example: $DCDS translates to “:(ccdd,ccss,ddss)” and $CDS translates to “:(cc,dd,ss)” for double or single BDFDs. (The other three macros would be $CDH, $CHS and $DHS) In PJ you can ask on a board like 7c7d5s how often villain has KK with a double BDFD “KK$DCDS” or how often she has 88+ with a single BDFD “88+:(*$CDS)”.
    Yoni
    Very good work here. Looking forward to using it!
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)